Friday, May 1, 2015

Josh Trank Leaves Star Wars Anthology

Josh Trank, the director of Chronicle and the new Fantastic Four film, has departed his upcoming Star Wars Anthology film. The film was meant to be the next standalone Star Wars film after Rogue One, but no other details are known about the project - at times it's been rumored to be an origin story for Boba Fett, or a Princess Leia film, but now that Rogue One is revealed to be none of the things it was rumored to be, all of those bets are off the table. No real word was given as to why Trank left, except that he wanted to pursue his own original creative works. It's entirely possible that he was simply burnt out after making Fantastic Four and going straight into another major blockbuster. His full statement, and Lucasfilm's response, after the jump.

Trank said, “After a year of having the incredible honor of developing with the wonderful and talented people at Lucasfilm, I’m making a personal decision to move forward on a different path. I’ve put a tremendous amount of thought into this, and I know deep down in my heart that I want to pursue some original creative opportunities. That said, the Star Wars universe has always been one of my biggest influences, and I couldn’t be more excited to witness its future alongside my millions of fellow Star Wars fans. I want to thank my friends Kathleen Kennedy, Kiri Hart, Simon Kinberg, and everyone at Lucasfilm and Disney for the amazing opportunity to have been a part of this. May the Force be with you all.”

Lucasfilm VP of Development Kiri Hart said “It was a privilege to collaborate with Josh. We are grateful for the energy and love of Star Wars that he brought to the process, and we wish him all the best.”

Now we just have to wait and see who Lucasfilm will find as a replacement. So far, their taste in directors has been very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment